Tuesday, March 16, 2021

The Experience

                The Jungle Life

(A True Tale of an Ogigi Family in Elelenwo Port Harcourt, Rivers State Nigeria).

 



                  *Episode One*

                The Experience 


As early as six o'clock in the morning, breakfast is served with pounded yam, fufu and or bake garri with soup. Each person with their bowl, aggressively eating without minding another as if they had escaped death. 

Nne is the oldest ( grandmother) of the Ogigi family. She's dark in complexion,slim with  an average height, her face is full with wrinkle so crumple as she barely smiles. Her voice is thunderstorm, if possible, it can wake the dead. She's energetic but troublesome and never accept the fact that she's aged. She's friendly with younger ladies whose hobby is gossiping.

Everyone live together as an extended family with extended problems. The early morning chaos, the drama, beatings, quarrels and fightings are familiar songs to their neighbors.

" Nora don't stand there to look foolishly go and get ready for school", Jennifer screamed.


"This is the Ogigi family. It has always been this way, said Alice." I was perplexed and confused instantly.


"What? I said indignantly. I can't live here, this is absurd. "

Alice our house assistant and my aunt Rose have adapted to the system already. I just graduated from college, hoping to get a break and to rest a little at my aunt's house but this seems to be mission impossible.

" How am I suppose to cope with all these mess" I exclaim as I wandered to myself with vexation. 

Then again, it occurred to me that at some point, I don't need to let my brain gets too  comfortable in my everyday surrounding. I need to make it uncomfortable by spending time in another location among different people that operates differently than me.

To me, it's a Jungle with different ideologies. Although, living with the Ogigi in the same compound is like a constant nightmares. It was an excruciating dilemma, until I realized that the ability to make quick decisions is an important skill. Everything became clear to me. In this Jungle, there's new inspiration, ideas, culture, insight and motivation. It was this drive that instigated me to write this story.

Everything happening in the Ogigi family visualize reality. It's so real each day that it looks like am viewing a reality show.  However, this Jungle has fed me creatively, socially, morally,, spiritually and literally. Am able to learn from their wrongs just as you soon would my wonderful reader.

............... Stay safe. Episode two on Friday!!!!


2 comments: